Friday, November 21, 2008

1000 years of solitude

Landing in California... it felt like one of the many vacations I took to visit family as a child. Ambling away my days in the oven-like California heat with no particular plan, object or timeline. But this time, I wasn't just waiting to go back home, I was striving to find my own.

My wonderful aunt and her family helped make the transition a calm, seamless thing rather than the chaotic stress that it very well could have been. It wasn't even decided that I would land at her house after traveling across the country until nearly a week beforehand. But thank goodness! It saved my budget and possibly sanity. Finding a sublet of any sort had proved nearly impossible anyway. So it was essentially a month-long vacation. No work, no bills, no travel hardly any responsibilities. So peaceful! During my stay, my days proceeded thusly: Awaking late, breakfasting over the SF Chronicle, practicing my new found love of the piano, taking a dip in the pool with my cousin, reading in the hammock, planning and cooking dinner, drinking wine and chatting with my aunt, watching the Olympics while griping over the coverage and praising Michael Phelps (guy's a fish!), then writing late into the night. I don't think I could have imagined a better vacation! And the fact that the move-in date for the first apartment I found wasn't until August 15 only meant I got 2 extra weeks of it!

I think the most important thing I gained from this breather was a reshaping and reevaluating of my goals and direction in life. My aunt really lent a third-person and honest view that helped me out. And what came of all this self-reflection? Well it's hard to explain. Obviously I had already achieved a major goal just by being in CA and steps away from my San Franciscan lifestyle, but what was I suppose to do once I was there? That was a really big focus which I'm still shaping. All I can say is that if not for that time of solace the Sungars so graciously allowed me, the stress of moving into the city might have done me in! Oooo, cliff hanger!

PS. I'm trying to get these up in some sort of order, but please forgive the delay and haphazardness!

No comments: